By now, you’ve likely seen an article or heard a podcast about why TikTok is important to your business, and companies like Simmons — which teamed up with TikTok stars Charli and Dixie D’Amelio on a new mattress aimed at Gen Z. — know the power of the platform.
But new research shows something happening that’s going to change the way companies do business on TikTok.
Adrienne Sheares, owner and director of social media and content for ViviMae Labs, explained in a Twitter thread that around 40% of Gen Zers use TikTok for online search.
Yes, that means that younger adults are going to TikTok instead of Google to search.
For those who came of age when Google was a verb, this is going to be a whole different ball game — and this might be a paradigm shift in the internet world.
Sheares hosted “a mini-focus group” with Gen Zers and explained three main takeaways in the Twitter thread:
- “TikTok shows them relevant content FASTER than Google. The algorithm knows them WELL, and they love that.
- The Gen Z focus group participants weren’t concerned about misinformation on TikTok. They know it exists and will avoid content on the platform that can easily be false (like health or news).
- The Gen Z focus group participants don’t want to read to find information. They will if they HAVE to. But if they can get a quick video with the answer, that’s what they prefer.”
It’s too early to say if TikTok is going to be the next Google, but there’s no denying that the app is unlike any other social media platform before it.
The sooner you use it, and the sooner establish a strategy and you get your company in the search results, the better off you’ll be if it becomes even bigger than it is now.
Here are a few ways to get started:
- Get familiar with Gen Z lingo and trends. It’s not just that younger people use different language, but things change so quickly with this generation that you need to keep an eye on trends. But beware: there’s a fine line between a clever, humorous brand and one that becomes the butt of the joke.
- Show and tell. Purple, Casper and many other have found success with TikTok, and that’s partly because it’s a great vehicle for showing how your product works. Videos were once predicted to be the next marketing goldmine, but it seems that TikTok found the sweet spot with short videos that are easy to digest.
- Partner up! Just like Simmons teaming up with the D’Amelio sisters, if you find a good partner you can get into the niche areas of TikTok and reach people interested in both those influencers as well as other specific trends having to do with mattresses or furniture.
- Know your audience. If you get on TikTok and plug your brand constantly, you’re going to fail. Gen Zers want authenticity, education and entertainment, and they won’t follow you on TikTok if your account if filled with ads. Instead, figure out a way to advertise your brand subtly by following trends and showing how products work in interesting and fun ways.